How To Build A Garden Shed On Skids?
If you have Garden sheds Melbourne you can build it on a concrete slab, treated concrete post pier or on the skids. Skids are large wood or timber usually those treated ones which serve as the foundation of the garden shed. They allow the structure to be moved once needed. Building garden sheds have somehow similar way of building no matter if it depends on a foundation, skids, or priers. Here are the steps how you can build a garden shed on skids:
- Make sure that the surface is level. This is important because this is where you will place your skids. The length of the skids must be 1 foot longer compared to the length of the garden shed. Place the skid equal to each other. The edge should be 1 foot inch from the edge of the width of the shed. Ideally, the skids are at least 4×4 inch treated timbers. But you can also use 6×6 inches. For bigger sheds that can be moved, heavy woods are usually used.
- Next, build the frame of the floor. This consist the framework of 2×4 size of the lumber of the garden shed. Install the floor joist that has a space of 16 inches on the center perpendicular to the skids center the frame. Join the building to the skid with the use of 16 box nails.
- You should cover the floor joist with the use of sheathing of oriented strand board or plywood. Use the 8 penny nails and attach the sheathing properly. You may now proceed to the wall framework of 2×4 inch lumber. To nail the stud walls together, you may use 16 common nails.
- Put the rafters on top of the stud walls. Use the 16 box nails to nail the rafters to the top of the stud walls. With OSB sheathing or plywood nailed in proper places using the 8 penny nails, cover the roof.
- In addition, attach the sheathing to the walls of the garden shed with the use of penny nails. Then, you may install the doors and windows. Paint the interior wall and also the exterior part of your garden shed.
When building a garden shed on the skids, you need to use critical thinking and your effort. Thus, you might find this task very challenging. The benefits which you can get from building a shed on skid is for convenience of transferring the shed from one location to another. It is important to make the shed where it offers convenience and accessibility of the materials and tools. You can use a truck to pull the shed and transfer it to another location. But the garden sheds built on skids are not that strong because of its foundation. They are prone to destruction especially when there is an extreme weather condition.